Sunday, December 09, 2012

A few homemade cleaning duds & Paula Deen's Pumkin Gooey Butter Cakes

It's the most wonderful time of the year right? I don't know about you all, but the holidays have me running. You have to decorate, shop for gifts, plan for Christmas parties, wrap gifts, send out Christmas cards, pick up packages at the post office because they wouldn't fit in your mailbox. Peace and Joy on Earth! Hurrah!

So all of that was the precursor to: I am sorry I haven't blogged in a little while. I had been feeling guilty because when I first started blogging about things I try from Pinterest, I was really amped up to try some homemade cleaning supplies and write about it here. Well, I have tried a few and I don't exactly have the best of news to share.


I am sure a lot of people have seen this pin:

Source: google.com via Tiffany on Pinterest

I was really excited about this one because I thought if I could clean my self and the shower/tub all at the same time, I would be kicking ass and taking names. Unfortunately this is a dead pin, (the link goes no where) which is my least favorite type of pin, and the directions aren't very thorough. Luckily I knew I had another similar pin:


Source: food.com via Tiffany on Pinterest


I was really pleased to have more instructions for the recipe. BUT  I did not read all the comments below the recipe. Now I wish I had. This solution seems to work pretty well. Unfortunately I used the ultra concentrated Dawn and trying to get rid of all the bubbles that come about from my solution is very time consuming. I made one batch and used some in a spray bottle and then I poured some in the dish scrubber pictured above. I hate wasting so I plan to dilute my supplies in hopes that I will create less suds.

Another homemade cleaning solution I tried was from this pin:




Source: food.com via Tiffany on Pinterest


If you go to the pin, the directions that are in the description of the pin are a little off. (which is why I click through to the link. This is a common problem on Pinterest in my experience.) Maybe I am being nit picky, but baking soda and washing soda are not the same thing. Regardless, I used the washing soda that was listed in the recipe after the jump. I personally did not like the affects of this cleaner. I don't know if I didn't mix it well enough, but after my floors dried they were slippery and some what felt powdery. I stopped using this recipe after a few tries and went back to my Mrs. Meyers Clean Day. I may not have made it my self, but it is a great earth friendly, non-toxic product. (And it works amazingly well.)

One other pin I attempted was this one:




I had an unused tension rod hanging around and I would love the space under my kitchen sink to be less cluttered. My tip to you: Measure the length and use a tension rod that is sturdy enough to hold so much weight. My tension rod was too thin and would not hold much. this is a great idea and probably would work with the correct size.


If you try any of these pins with any success, please comment me and let me know what you did differently. I plan to keep trying to find some effective, homemade cleaning supplies in the future so if you are interested in Eco-friendly alternatives, stay tuned. Since I feel like I gave you a bunch of duds I want to end on a positive note.

My contribution to Thanksgiving dinner was this:



Paula Deen's Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes.Emphasis on the butter. This recipe calls for two whole sticks! The recipe isn't hard to make, especially if you have a stand mixer. The results are out of this world. My brothers are picky and said they don't like Pumpkin Pie so they didn't want to try this dessert, but once they did they were sold. My dad said this was the best dessert he ever had. I am definitely keeping this in my arsenal of go-to recipes.

Thank you to all the people that have been stopping by my blog. Keep pinning and keep checking back for more or follow my board The Pins I Have Tried Out. I hope everyone will have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Festive Kwanza or whatever you will be celebrating this year. Happy New Year and I hope to see you all here in 2013! (That is, if we make it past 12/21/2012. LOL!)

No comments: