Monday, January 14, 2013

Cajun Chicken Stuffed with Pepper Jack Cheese & Spinach and Mushroom and Spinach Frittata With Smoked Gouda

Last week I tried two new recipes off of my pin boards. The first was Cajun Chicken Stuffed with Pepper Jack Cheese & Spinach.



This recipe was pretty easy. I had time to stop by the grocery store, get a few items and make this for dinner on a week night. It was probably even a little better the next day when I had it for lunch. When I make this again, I will use a lot less "Cajun seasoning". When I read that ingredient I thought Tony Chachere's would be appropriate. It was yummy but a tad bit more salty than I like. I will probably switch to 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning next time. Brandon and I both really liked this inventive way of preparing chicken. Baked chicken can get tired if you don't switch things up.

Over the weekend I tried my hand at a Mushroom and Spinach Frittata With Smoked Gouda




Once again, Kroger did some of the hard work for me. I bought sliced mushrooms because they were the same price as the unsliced mushrooms. (I used baby bellla  mushrooms in case you were wondering.) The smoked Gouda was higher priced than I am used to spending on cheese, but what it added to the flavor profile made it more than worth it. This recipe was easy to make and was so delicious. My favorite thing about this dish, other than how delectable it tastes, is that one serving (A WHOLE QUARTER OF THE DISH!!!!) is 158 calories. That is two calories less than a Chobani 0% Fat Yogurt! Better yet, it is 112 calories less than an Apple Cinnamon Walnut Oatmeal from McDonald's. I would venture to say that you will feel full longer and more satisfied with this meal than most low calorie options. A lot of my Facebook and Instagram friends showed a great interest in getting this recipe after I posted my pictures:



 Before going into the oven.

















After coming out of the oven.

And right before it went in my belly! Look at all that cheesy goodness! You know you want to try it! One other tip: I didn't want to waste perfectly good egg yolks so I bought egg beaters to use in this recipe. 3/4 cups equals 4 large egg whites. Plus, who wants to waste their time separating eggs in the morning? Not me.

I hope you and your family will enjoy these recipes as much as we did!  

No comments: